Popular Posts

03 May 2011

A found poem

I found this poem tacked to the end of a spectrum article... it's so beautiful I felt it was worth sharing...

August Sestet - written under the influence of some anonymous Japanese Sages


Down where the afternoon
pools in winter paddocks
brown cows shoot the rising southerly breeze
and the late sun
spraypaints
the arms of the elms
those great old gantries
and one yellow-tailed black cockatoo
slouching inside his zenga overcoat
splays the same blue phrase
across the afternoon
in the same cool and melancholy
way
the sky has been rehearsing it since noon

It's 4:48 on a Friday, halfway through
my life
and this is what I come to now
none of it mine - all of it me
all that love has left
The unrequieted landscape of
my soul

(Mark Tredennick - Spectrum 27 March 2010)
This was a postscript to the article - In From The Cold At Last.

No comments: